The Brunei Darussalam Ministry of Education (MoE) has partnered with Education Development Trust (EDT) (branded in Brunei as CfBT Brunei) to implement the Literacy and Numeracy Coaching Programme (LNCP). This programme is key to supporting the MoE with achieving its strategic objectives as part of the Wawasan 2035 programme of delivering transformational change in the teaching of literacy and numeracy across schools in Brunei. The LNCP’s strategic goals are directly aligned to the three strategic goals of Wawasan 2035:
- High quality English & Mathematics teaching
- All students highly numerate and literate in English
- A system empowered to deliver sustained improvement in literacy and numeracy
The EDT/MoE LNCP contract is for a period of three years with the overarching objective of the programme being to deliver systemic improvement in the quality of literacy and numeracy teaching in Bruneian schools by building the capacity within the MoE to enable the system to continue to drive transformational change during the sustain phase of the programme.
The LNCP was designed as three distinct phases:
- Inception – this commenced in September 2016 and ran until 31st December 2016
- Implementation – which commenced 3rd January 2017 and ran until 30th June 2019
- Sustain – which commenced in July 2019 under the direction of the MoE and will continue to support Brunei to achieve its Wawasan 2035 strategic goals
Who were involved
- International Coaches: highly qualified and experienced teachers with literacy and/or numeracy expertise. They worked with Learning Partners in every school, provided ongoing support to accredited Local Coaches, and provided pedagogical reform support to all teachers of English and/or mathematics.
- Local Coaches: experts in their field who have gone through the LNCP selection, training and accreditation process. They will have ongoing responsibility for continuing the objectives of LNCP beyond the end of the current contract.
- Ministry of Education senior staff: worked within and alongside the LNCP team to ensure the success of the LNCP at all levels. This close relationship also built capacity within the Ministry of Education to lead, govern and sustain the LNCP post June 2019.
- Education Development Trust / International Education Experts: contributed in the inception phase and continued to be involved in the capacity building programme through implementation stage of programme.
Our topline and methodology
- The LNCP is applying a Mastery Learning approach as the basis of educational reform in Brunei. This approach includes:
- Structure and organise lessons effectively
- Teach content dialogically
- Design effective learning tasks
- Assess learning continuosly
- International and Local Coaches support teachers and schools through using a ‘T-GROW’ model of coaching (Topic, Goal, Reality, Options, Way forward). This is allied to careful selection of information, resources and training materials to support team teaching, demonstration lessons, classroom observation and professional dialogue with Learning Partners. This creates a balance of taught input with questioning and support to help build the teachers’ capacity to use the approaches that they have been introduced.
Start and end dates
- The Inception Phase took place from September to December 2016. This was the design and build phase of the project.
- The Delivery Phase was officially launched by the Minister of Education on 5 December 2017 and commenced on 3 January 2017. This phase concluded on 30 June 2019.
Literacy and Numeracy Impact Report 19-2-19 B
Block D, Unit 5 & 6, Kiarong Complex
Lebuhraya Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
Bandar Seri Begawan BE1318